In most Western countries it is fairly difficult – if not impossible – for an individual to go out and buy an entire hamlet, or small village.
Not so in France. Within less than a three-hour journey from London, Dublin or Amsterdam one can find entire hamlets for sale … with vacant possession.
As opposed to an ‘extended farm’ where different farm buildings have been converted into residential use, a hamlet was originally conceived as a collection of different dwellings, huddled together for safety/work reasons, housing a number of different families. These families were independent … but often lived communally in many respects. They shared access to a water supply, they shared the hamlet’s bread oven and they teamed up to bring in wood for winter.
Each family would have their own garden and vegetable patch although fruit trees were often planted in a common orchard. Livestock would be let roam in the surrounding woods or meadows. The only thing that differentiated a large hamlet from a small village was the church: hamlets do not have churches. Occasionally a little chapel.
Today, hamlets are sought out for different projects: mainly get-way-from-it-all communal-living projects whether it be a couple of urban families fed up with the city or groups of like-minded people seeking spiritual or ecological grace.
GITES à la française always has a few hamlets on its books. Here are a few of our more interesting ones:
- Tarn - small hamlet for sale
- Small isolated hamlet in the forests of northern Tarn. 3 dwellings surrounded by 9 hectares of land, mostly wooded. Water is from a spring, mains electricity and gas central-heating provide comfort and the lack of near neighbours make this a perfect place to retreat from the world. Price reduced for a quick sale.
- Gijounet, Occitanie
- Entire hamlet in Aveyron for sale
- East of Albi in the Parc Naturel this fully-renovated hamlet consists of a big farmhouse, two gites, superb indoor pool with bar and quite a few outhouses. Secluded: no near neighbours. Gardens and veg patch: camelias and kiwis! No further work needed.
- Plaisance, Occitanie
- Dordogne - entire hamlet with 6 gites and manor house
- Big hamlet comprising 16th century manor house, six gites, owner's cottage, outhouses, 15m pool on 2 hectares of land between Belvès and Monpazier in the Dordogne. Not cheap because there are very few hamlets like this for sale in the Dordogne region.
- Belvès, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
- Entire Hamlet for sale Tarn Valley
- Secluded hamlet in the Tarn valley, Aveyron. No near neighbours. 4 houses of which one is an 8-bedroomed mansion. 3 potential gites and a B&B. 2 large stone barns, out-houses and 6 acres of land. 1 hour Albi; 90 mins Toulouse and Med coast.