Carcassonne château and 2 gites
over 700m² of living space
Run as B&B and gite complex
vast wine cellars
new roof, extensive gardens
10 minutes Carcassonne airport
Price: €750,000 – ref n° 255
This is a former wine château set in grounds just west of Carcassonne in the Languedoc. The old farm buildings have been renovated and modernised to give this configuration today:
- the main château – run as an upmarket B&B – but retaining an independent “owner’s floor”
- two separate gites: each with 2 bedrooms
- a massive wine cellar where wine was produced, stocked and aged
- a swimming pool
This configuration gives buyers great scope in planning their future project: the property can be used “as is” offering both B&B and gite accommodation or it could be tweaked towards a more commercial venture catering to wedding receptions and corporate retreats. Or simply used as a fine family home supplemented by a steady revenue stream from the two rental units (weekly or annual).
Carcassonne château and 2 gites
The château is more a rambling country manor house than stately home with numerous big, square, bright rooms and lots of nooks and crannies. The owner lives on the ground floor with its two spacious (25m²+) bedrooms, living room, laundry room and a ‘farm kitchen’ which is bigger than most people’s entire apartment! This kitchen is, as it should be, the centre of activity with its grand open fireplace, space to seat a batallion of local farmers or urban guests and yet, equipped with everything a modern kitchen demands. The entire chateau is centrally heated.
Guests are lodged in the upper floor in six double bedrooms (one is a suite); of which four have ensuite bathrooms. Again, the rooms are immense by normal standards and the bathrooms are of similar scale. Breakfast is served in a sunny breakfast room on the ground floor with optional space on the outdoor terrace.
The gites are currently let on annual leases: these generate around €2k per month. These are simple 2-bedroomed holiday houses with kitchen, bathroom, lounge. Gites in this region (10 minutes from Carcassonne airport and 20 minutes from the UNESCO sites of the Cité de Carcassonne and the Canal du Midi) let for around €1000 a week in the season.
We would be tempted to move into one of the gites staight away and let out the other gite and the château itself as a luxury ‘very big gite’. This sort of accommodation with its 8 bedrooms, reception rooms and what amounts to a private pool lets for over €5000 a week this near to Carcassonne. In this way the 10-week summer season generates €50k or so … allowing the owners to enjoy the whole estate for the rest of the year without stress. Another project would involve using the old wine cellars as a wedding venue with accommodation provided by the B&B and gites. Again, this sort of space lets for €5k for a 24 hour period in this part of Languedoc. Whatever your project, this property is so well placed that even a beginner would have no difficulty filling the rooms…
- Ref n°: 255
- Summary: A chateau this near to Carcassonne is fairly rare. The fact that it is a fully-fledged B&B; and can offer 2 gites as well makes it a "must see" property. The UNESCO World Heritage site of Carcassonne Cité is the second most-visited tourist site in France ... and the airport has links to Ireland, UK and Belgium. Caux-et-Sauzens, Occitanie
- Address: Caux-et-Sauzens, Occitanie
- Price: €750,000
- Commission: 3% (included in asking price)
- Surface Area: 1.2 hectares
- Phone Number: +33675665518
- Bedrooms: 10
- Bathrooms: 7
- Pools: 1
- Location Description: Carcassonne, Aude, Languedoc