15 person gite/guest house
At the foot of the spectacular Château de Peyrepertuse
€385,000 * – ref 161
The southern part of the Aude département is where the maquis-covered Corbières region – known for its rough red wines – meets the foothills of the Pyrenees. It is in this remote, rocky region – historically the last part of France before the realm of Majorca and Catalonia – that we find a string of mountain-top castles that are known collectively as the ‘Châteaux Cathares’. This is where the persecuted Cathar sect sought their last refuge in the 13th century. Quéribus, Peyrepertuse, Puilaurens, Puivert and Montségur are the ‘must-see’ Cathar Castles in the region.
This property is in the village below the towering mass of Château de Peyrepertuse. The village of Rouffiac is one of a line of pretty villages, lively and busy, that mark the southern edge of the Aude: Soulatge, Duilhac, Cucugnan, with the domineering Pic de Bugarach at the western end. They are all part of a Cathar Tourist trail followed by tourists from all over the world intent on visiting the famous castles, drinking the local wines and enjoying the 300 days of sunshine that the region offers. All these villages have restaurants, cafés and bakeries as well as basic administrative facilities.
On high ground over-looking the village, the property consists of a large three-story building set in grounds that are used as terraces, pool area, veg patch, car-park and flower garden.
The ground floor (street side) is a vast garage/wine cellar space of around 100m² where the central-heating boiler (oil-fired) is housed. There is space for about 4 camper vans here … or any sort of activity that needs square metres. The next floor (which is the ground floor on the garden side) is devoted to a large living/dining space with a fully-equipped kitchen to one side. Off to one side are three ensuite bedrooms and a WC. Out back there is the main terrace and pool area: to the front there’s a terrace which overlooks the village.
Upstairs again there are another three bedrooms, all ensuite. Finally, on the top floor, a splendid self-contained loft with shower room and wc.
Part of the property used to belong to the local hotel: hence the ensuite rooms.
The pool is an above-ground basin, cleverly integrated into the hillside and fully decked and protected from errant children. A heat-pump, hidden in the maquis, ensures that the temperature hovers around the 29° mark – April to end October.
Our opinion: There are three ways of running this business:
– as it is currently – as a big, 7 bedroom gite – at a distance with a local person coming in to do the change-overs every week. Rental income €2200 per week.
– as a 6-bedroomed gite with the owners/manager living in the loft. Rental income: €1600 pw
– as a B&B with 5 guest rooms and a table d’hôte
The ‘garage’ space downstairs opens up all sorts of possibilities: an independent apartment, a gallery, an artist’s studio … The key word here is flexilibity: the property is in an excellent location and can be exploited in a number of ways: gite, B&B, family home … whatever suits your project best.
* agency fees included reference n°: 161
more information or to arrange a viewing – email
- Ref n°: 161
- Summary: Unusual property in that it can be used either as a 'very large gite' or as a more classic B&B. Formerly a country hotel the house has now been transformed into a holiday let which caters to people visiting the famous Cathar castles in the vicinity. There are vineyards too and the Med coast is not far away either.
- Address: Rouffiac-des-Corbières, Occitanie
- Price: €385,000
- Commission: 4% (included in asking price)
- Surface Area: 500 sq m
- Bedrooms: 7
- Bathrooms: 7
- Pools: 1