- 18th century watermill fully renovated
- independent gite
- B&B guest rooms in the mill and ..
- two brand-new made-to-order gypsy caravans – as B&B or gites
- riverside location south of Foix
- land, veg garden, chicken run
- fibre-optic high-speed internet
- walking distance to village – 1 hour to airport
- Price: €435,000 (agency fee included) – ref n° 297
In the foothills of the Pyrenees, this watermill dating back to the French Revolution, has been painstakingly restored and brought up to 21st century standards. Central-heating, double-glazing and copious insulation mean that owners and guests are snug and warm in winter and – thick stone walls playing their part – cool in summer. The estate covers both banks of the turbulent stream with a serious vegetable patch , chicken-run, meadows and a patch of woodland. Within this little paradise of greenery the owners have placed two superb wooden caravans, state-of-the-art handmade constructions made principally of wood.
The business is both B&B and gites. The gite is housed in a separate stone-built building and has been fitted out with the same taste and style as the watermill. Lounge with wood-burner, fully-fitted and equipped kitchen, two bedrooms and a dainty little balcony over-looking the stream. Separate entrance and private parking.
The main house is a warren of rooms, spaces, underground conduits and secret places … all befitting of an ancient watermill. There is the main lounge/dining-room with its open fireplace where breakfasts and table d’hôte are served, a fine kitchen, a pantry, two smaller salons/studies, the ‘millstone lounge’ with ite ancient equipment intact and a fabulous open deck lounge/balcony giving on to the river. Upstairs there are two bedrooms and a bathroom. The guest room is separated from the owner’s part of the house and has its own bathroom and kitchenette.
But that’s not all! Downstairs where the water from the mill-race used to turn the wheels, they have created a workshop, cellar and two rooms – offices/bedrooms/mancaves call them what you like – overlooking the stream.
This is not just a ‘lifetstyle-change’ property for city dwellers to get away from the rat race (although the fibre-optic internet connection will attract many a remote worker), but a real little business based on ‘return to nature’ principals with handmade caravan accommodation, healthy organic produce from the estate served every evening for table d’hôte and pure Pyrenean air to whet the appetite. There’s room to expand the business with a couple more caravans and more B&B guest rooms could be added. The location would lend itself to road-cycling groups as the Tour de France climbs around Foix are all within easy reach. In short: a real gem which can be adapted to many different projects.
- Ref n°: 297
- Summary: Fully renovated watermill with B&B and gite accommodation. In the foothills of the Pyrenees just 5 minutes west of Foix it boasts two beautiful handmade gypsy caravans placed in verdant surroundings. The mill has central-heating, double-glazing and ... fibre-optic high-speed internet!
- Address: Foix, Occitanie
- Price: €435,000
- Commission: 4% (included in asking price)
- Surface Area: 2 acres
- Phone Number: +33 675 665 518
- Bedrooms: 9
- Bathrooms: 5
- Pools: river